Criminal Injuries Compensation CICA

Criminal Injuries Compensation CICA – Have you been the victim of an assault and suffered personal injuries?

Criminal Injuries Compensation CICA

Criminal Injuries Compensation CICA

If you have been the blameless victim of a violent crime and suffered personal injuries, for example you have been assaulted, or injured as the result of an armed robbery or a mugging we provide free legal advice about your right to claim compensation from the Government’s Criminal Injuries Compensation Authority (CICA).  Victims of sexual assault are also eligible to claim.  Speak to an expert solicitor today on 01925 937070.  We make sure that making a claim for Criminal Injuries Compensation CICA is stress-free and we’re with you every step of the way.

Victim of an assault?

Being the victim of an assault is a terrifying and often confusing, upsetting time.  Why me? Why did it happen? Will I ever feel safe again? Making a compensation claim is often the last thing on a person’s mind but we can help you to recover the compensation that you deserve and have a legal right to claim. 

Criminal Injuries Compensation CICA

Our experienced and dedicated solicitors can help you with making a criminal injury claim and ensuring you receive the maximum amount of compensation possible.  We act on a ‘no win, no fee’ basis.  Therefore if you don’t receive any compensation, we don’t get paid.

Call 01925 937070 for a free, no obligation chat with one of our team or click here to complete our Criminal Injury Compensation Authority Enquiry Form and a solicitor will contact you.

We will advise on whether you have a claim and if so will make the application on your behalf.  It is free to find out if you qualify to make a claim.  We also have a Wigan office which can be contacted on 01942 914004.

Criminal Injuries Compensation CICA Claims – Frequently Asked Questions

Q: What type of crime is covered under the CICA scheme?

A: Examples include  an assault or attack which causes physical injury, for example a mugging, a sexual assault such as rape, a threat of immediate violence which causes someone to fear for their safety, for example an armed robbery or arson.   

Q: Does the crime have to be reported to the police?

A: Yes, it must be reported to the police as soon as reasonably possible. Any unreasonable delay may result in your claim being rejected or the award being reduced.

Q: What if the person who committed the crime has not been found or convicted?

A: It does not matter whether they have been traced by the police or whether if they have been found they have been convicted.   You only need to ensure that the matter is reported to the police as soon as reasonably possible and that you co-operate with them.    

Q: How much compensation will I receive?

A: This will depend on the severity of your injuries, however your claim will be rejected by the CICA if your injuries do not merit an award in excess of £1,000 (we will advise you on this during our initial assessment).  Awards of up to £500,000.00 can be made for the most severe injuries.   In cases where you have to take extended time off work you can claim for loss of earnings. 

Q: Can I claim for post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD)?

A: Yes, you are entitled to be compensated for mental injuries such as PTSD and depression in addition as well as physical injuries.

Q: Is there a time limit to bring a claim for criminal injuries compensation?

A:  A claim must be made within two years of the incident occurring (although the two year limit can be waived in certain circumstances, eg in relation to sexual abuse and assault claims, due to the impact the crime has on victims).

Q: Are there any other rules?

A: The incident must have occurred in England, Wales or Scotland.  There are some other conditions, which if not fulfilled, may lead to the claim being rejected, but we will advise you in detail about those if they apply in your case.    

Q: Why should I choose DSM Legal Solicitors?

  • We act on a ‘no win, no fee’ basis and will never ask you for money up front or during the course of your claim. 
  • We are an experienced, specialist firm of injury solicitors in Warrington. 
  • Only a fully-qualified and experienced solicitor will handle your criminal injury compensation claim ensuring you receive the best possible service.
  • There is no risk to you – if your claim is not successful there is no charge.
  • Our fees are transparent.  We will agree with you that if (and only if) your claim is successful our costs will be limited to a sum equivalent to 1/3rd of your compensation – including VAT. 

If you want to find out whether you have a criminal injury compensation claim contact us immediately for a free confidential discussion on 01925 937070.  We offer expert confidential no-obligation advice. 

Local solicitors in Warrington, Cheshire

Our office is based in Warrington and we can help with claims across England and Wales.  

We can assist with criminal injury compensation claims, personal injury (accident claims), serious injury claims including fatality claims, road traffic accident claims (car accidents), medical negligence, employment law claims, lasting powers of attorneywills and probate, oaths, affidavits and statutory declarationssettlement agreements and professional negligence claims.  Call 01925 937070 to speak to a solicitor in confidence today or complete the ‘Contact our Solicitors’ form at the bottom of this webpage.

Find DSM Legal Solicitors – Criminal Injuries Compensation CICA Claim Solicitors

Our office is just minutes away from Junction 8 of the M62, close to Ikea and Marks & Spencer.  We have free on-site parking with disabled access.  Please email for more information.

We call you at evenings or weekends if you are unavailable during our office opening hours, and if you are too injured to travel we can visit you at home or in hospital.

What to do next

Click to open and read our Criminal Injuries Compensation Check List.

Call us on 01925 937070 for a free, confidential, no obligation chat with one of our solicitors.  Alternatively you can complete our Personal Injury Enquiry Form or email  We’re more than happy to answer any questions you may have.

Useful links for victims of criminal assault

Victim Support – for victims of crime – please click here

NHS – help and advice for victims of rape and sexual assault – please click here

Citizens Advice Bureau – help and advice for victims of rape and sexual assault – please click here

Women’s Aid – for help and advice for victims of domestic violence – please click here

Why choose DSM Legal Solicitors?

We specialise in no win no fee agreements.

Read More


What our customers say

Thank you for winning compensation for me and the helpful way in which you handled my claim. Once again, many thanks.

Mrs G of Wigan

Case Studies

People just like you

Have you had an accident at work? Are you a healthcare worker who has suffered an accident at work?  We have helped clients to recover compensation for injuries suffered at...

Read more

Type of work:

Contact our Solicitors

Get in touch for expert legal advice and assistance.

Request a callback
Call Back Form

DSM Legal Establised 2003 acc_apil

DSM Legal - Cheshire

International Business Centre,
Delta Crescent,

DSM Legal - Wigan (by appointment only)

Unity House,
Westwood Park,


Enter your email to receive latest newsletters and industry updates

All information contained within this website, including fact sheets or template letters, is provided for general information only and is not intended to constitute legal advice. You should contact a solicitor or other legal professional for advice relating to your specific circumstances if you have any questions about any legal matter. DSM Legal accepts no liability for any adverse consequences arising from reliance on this website for legal advice.

DSM Legal Solicitors is regulated by the Solicitors Regulation Authority – number 00346482